Saturday, November 8, 2008

rachel getting married

talk of God comes in the most surprising places sometimes.

rachel getting married is not the comedy i thought it was, but it was a beautiful and intense movie that was worth every second. anne hathaway should get major props (and i love to see people who are essentially my peers who are so imspirationally talented). anyway...

rachel, addict working her steps, says at a meeting... "i don't know if i can believe in a God who can forgive me." in her struggle to confront her past, she is also confronting God. learning to live with herself is also learning to live with God. and sometimes the goodness of God is the hardest part to understand--or believe.

i struggle with those same things. an angry God who holds me to account for each an every error, each and every slip up, each and everything i hate in myself, makes such perfect sense that i can buy into it. it is making God in the image of myself... when in fact it is we who are made in the image of God.

believing in God's goodness can be so hard because (for me) it also means believing in my own goodness...

No comments: