Friday, April 3, 2009

When there are no more hoops

My life in the last three years has seemed to be an unending series of bureaucratic steps, beginning with the application to seminary. Housing forms, financial aids forms, ordination forms, entrance interview, exit interview, interview I didn't realize was an interview. Paper, exam, form, rinse and repeat.

In some ways, this structure makes it easy to make meaning in my life. A hoop gets jumped, I feel like I have made progress and grown, and I feel valuable. Sometime soon (ish) the hoops will be gone.

A wise moderator once said that the institution doesn't give us meaning, only God does that.

True, but how easily we give ourselves away and look for our meaning in the wrong places.

I find this a distinction I need to keep in mind as a ponder and pray about the next step in my ministry. As it is easy to give away my meaning and find it in the hoop jumping, it would be east to look for a call from the church instead of a call from God.

No comments: