Monday, February 11, 2008

great is thy faithfulness

... morning by morning, new mercies I see.

Sitting in my first worship class, I am busy reflecting--I am in seminary, so I am always busy reflecting, but anyway--on the worshipping community I am now a part of. This year is the first year probably since I was in middle school that I have only missed a couple of Sundays. Going back to a "Lord's Day Worship" (I just learned that is what we call it in PCUSA) every week has been a bit of an adjustment. I do miss lazy Sunday mornings.

But, as I think on what I have gained, I am amazed.

I love to sing. I am not very good at it. I love to sing in a community, with the voices moving deep in my soul. I love hymns. It does not matter how bad I am, we are lifting it up, connecting with God and each other.

In January, life felt crazy. Still does bit, but I was in the midst of a particularly intense time of indecision, transition and growth. Among this, we sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and Bruce RC preached on taking risks in faith (well, that is what I heard). For a month, the song has been stuck in my soul. Morning by morning I am looking for mercies. In the insanity, I am trying to revel in even the smallest mercies... a good morning kiss on the way out the door, the sun on my face and the wind in my hair as I drive to school the blueness of the Bay, the company of friends, the wild mustard blooiming, the dog's smile... okay, I am getting overly cheesy and sentimental. But it is true, our worship that week transformed me, moved me, and is continuing to move me.

I will keep this is mind as I try to make it through the end of class at ten pm...

morning by morning, new mercies I see...

No comments: