Sunday, February 10, 2008

vaginas, vaginas, vaginas


This is the Chapel of the Great Commission transformed into the Chapel of the Great Vagina. Patricia Wood designed the banners.

At first, it seemed to me that it was no big deal that we were producing the Vagina Monologues at PSR. I mean, no bigger deal than doing it anywhere else. I have seen it before, at my undergrad, it was preformed every year. Yea, it is cool that it is a part of a global movement to stop violence against women, but nothing about our performance was special.

Was I ever wrong.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of enjoying the run through before our final dress rehearsal. It finally dawned on me, sitting in the chapel, with a giant stained glass portrait of Jesus over my head... where I first met the PSR community, where I practiced preaching, where I worship with my professors, where I have been transformed by worship... that in this place, in this house of God, it was significant to perform this piece. There were women screaming cunt from the pulpit, women who may preach and not be heard in some churches because of their vagina. There were women discovering a new artistic part of themselves that God created them to enjoy right up their on the altar. There were women standing under the cross, telling the story of women in flesh, just a Jesus told the story of God in the flesh.

If ever I am in ministry and I find myself feeling lonely, quiet, or small because I am a woman, I will stand taller remembering that moment in the PSR chapel when I witnessed more than two dozen women strongly being who God made them to be, telling the story of God's children in a new and exciting way.

No comments: