Tuesday, August 26, 2008

proclaiming the word of God

it isn't news that perhaps the way that i "proclaim the word of God" with the most integrity and authenticity is not in the form of a twenty minute homily from a pulpit. i just ain't my bag. it is not who i am. i realize i will have to continue to learn how to do it because there are just to many places that don't understand or won't accept anything else.

but for me, it just is not true.

i discovered this in a new way tonight as i made my first "movie" in months... since my new video camera actually. my movies are little ditties that reflect on scripture or something like that. in this particular video (which i imagine i will post at some point) i discovered that i can pray with my computer. it allows me to synthesize scripture and life in a way i can't do with words alone. it may be an amateur attempt--in fact, i am sure it is--but my "preaching" is an also amateur attempt (isn't "proclaiming the word of God" always a humble activity?). i can preach in a mixture of images, words and sound.... and it can be more true.

so if anyone ever knows of a church looking for a pastor whose sermons are five minute movies instead of twenty minute homilies, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DePauw is looking for a Director of Spiritual Life...