Wednesday, November 14, 2007

i should get an award for this.

Don't you just love a good nap? There is little in life that gives me as much joy as laying down in the middle of the day, on my lovely red, corduroy couch, with my dog, for a good long snooze. I love drifting in and out of consciousness. I love feeling all cuddly. I love waking without an alarm, just when my body is ready.

I am a champion sleeper too. My husband makes fun of me... my naps are full sleep cycles. Sometimes up to three hours. I can nap in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening. I will confess, sometimes I even nap in my car, and I certainly nap on BART... in between the world's craziness.

Right now I am debating this healthfulness of napping as a hobby. On the one hand, I listen to my body better than I used to. I am genuinely refreshed when I close my eyes for twenty minutes in the afternoon on the way to work (not while I am driving mind you, only when i BART it). So I think, like much of the rest of life, napping in moderation is fabulous.

But, today, I napped to avoid doing the dishes. So, now I go to conquer my kitchen with the ferocity and the seriousness that I bring to napping. Pray for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Champion sleepers live longer! There are studies on this...Plus, it is a great pastime. From one champion sleeper to another, love it, revel in it.

Kelly Jo said...

when my cycles of sleeping from the early morning until early afternoon is interupted, rather than fight my body all day a good twenty minute release mid afternoon is a life-saver. Amen to listening to the body...hear that all the pastors of the world!