Saturday, November 24, 2007

little bit of hope

Riding the BART is a great way to experience the world... the good, the bad and the ugly. Sometimes those discoveries are about myself, sometimes they are about the world. The other day, I saw Jesus in a moment, I saw God in a moment, that gave me hope.

There was a man wandering in and out and up and down the cars. He passed my seat a couple of times. He clothes were bordering on rags. They were tattered to shreds, and it wasn't very warm. He had to use one hand to hold his pants together. On his second pass, I watched as he disappeared into the car in front of me. He lost the grip on his pants, and more layers of clothes were revealed, none looking warm or comforting though. As he walked past, a young man reached into a shopping bag he was carrying and pulled out a pair of jeans and handed them the to man with a smile. I was too far away to hear any conversation that was exchanged, but the body language was loving and the man responded with gratitude.

My heart was full. It was an unbelievable example of being able to serve the world's needs as they appear to you with what you have to give. In that moment, that young man was exactly who God made him to be. I saw Jesus on the BART, humbly giving a pair of pants and humbly receiving a pair of pants.

No comments: