Monday, January 21, 2008

adventures in preaching

So, I just completed my second in a three part series on the book of Joel. Of note... the first week I preached, we had over a hundred in attendance... the second week, we had a little over eighty. The first week wasn't my best preaching. I was nervous, uncomfortable, talked to fast... this week was a whole other story. But, let's hope I didn't drive them away... (just kidding.)

Whew. What a Sunday. When you preach with media, the computer crashing feels a little stressful. We scrambled for an hour and a half before the service to get the songs on a new power point, try to work out the prayers, etc. using my computer. I made a video of the scripture that just didn't make it into the service in the confusion. It was like riding the bike without the training wheels for the first time. And just as I enjoyed that first ride (scary though it was), I enjoyed preaching this week.

It was a good conversation. There is so much wisdom in our congregation... I would say in all congregations, and I love the process of wrestling with the text together, working it out together, and integrating many people's interpretations into how we understand the text. I think it makes much more interesting. And, MBCC puts up with (maybe even enjoys?) my little art projects and and I feel privileged to be able to witness and read the way people respond through my little activities in the sermon.

And afterward, someone asked me how Jesus was today. I said good... there were just demons in the computer. He responded that Jesus needed something to do... demons in the computer gave him a job.

I could go on and on about Sunday... I have been over analyzing it for about 36 hours, but rather than bore you, I thought I would share the video I couldn't share on Sunday. It is a reading of Joel 2:12-17. The quality is not fab... but here goes.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey girl - you did a GREAT job both times! I'm sorry for the hecticness of yesterday. It was a holiday weekend, and the small "dip" in attendance was still a large group. You're awesome!

abbykk said...

thanks dear. i wasn't fishing for compliments... i do think that the second round was much better. and nothing to be sorry for. it was an excellent learning experience :)

Kelly Jo said...

ihope your congregation enjoys your art projects and though I know you don't really feel this way about them..they are not 'little' by any means. You spend great time, energy and love in the coordination and it shows in an experiential worship offering. I am learning that what we consider 'easy' or 'little' in the realm of creativity is extraordinary to a good many of the folks we serve, even in artistic MBCC I would guess. Give yourself and your mighty art all the credit and respect you deserve my friend!