Saturday, January 5, 2008

Atonement

honesty. no adjectives, no embellishments.

Atonement was a masterpiece. It was an intense, compelling and challenging narrative that spoke about the nature of truth. I highly recommend it.

As any good piece of film (or art) does, it pushed me to think about my own relationship to truth and honesty. I am in the midst of deciding whether of not to move, trying to discern what is best for me, for my family, what is sustainable and what will make us happy. In this process, it is important to be honest, with myself and my partner about what I want and need. But, how can you be honest when you are not sure? when the "truth" is ambiguous? when it is all a fog?

For me, much of my faith is foggy. The edges are not clear. The boundaries are not clear. I am not clear. I do not always know where I am, how I relate to God, how I relate to others. If you cannot locate yourself, how can you reach out?

I am not sure that truth exists in a pure way, no adjectives or embellishments. Is that a way to hide from the truth? Do I hide behind thinking my faith is foggy, thinking I am foggy, to avoid looking at the truth?

I find the hardest person to be truthful with is usually myself.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm very excited to see this b/c I'm listening to the book right now. I totally know what you mean about being honest with yourself. I have a tendency to rationalize and excuse things that I shouldn't. We'll get there, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Just remember to do what feels right. Sometimes we use "honesty" to negate our instincts. To be honest, learn to listen to your instincts and feelings.