Wednesday, April 2, 2008

just a job

when i think about joining the clergy, i get anxious. when i talk about ordination exams, and interviews and scheduling meetings with my presbytery, my palms go sweaty and my breathing gets just a little shallower and faster.

when i think about doing work i love, working in a church i love, talking to people about god and life, making art that is transformative, my heart sings.

in some ways, i need to remind myself that ministry is just a job. and it is not all about me. God is plenty big, i don't make or break anything.

that way, when i bemoan that i may be in a church wants a twenty minute lecture from the pulpit for a sermon, it will not seem so tragic.

last sunday was fun. church can be fun. preaching can be fun. (see tiffany's blog for how she thought it went... the gang had so many exciting things to say!) and i am in it for the fun.

ministry... it is not about me and it is just a job.

1 comment:

lindseyann said...

Oh, how familiar I am with those ordination-induced anxiety, sweats, perhaps even hives...what a crazy journey this is, huh?

It's a good thing me, too, to remember the vastness of God--that the practice of ministry doesn't rise and fall with us. I think we do ourselves a disservice by talking about ministry in terms of "call," as if our daily work as pastors has to encapsulate the grandiose essence of all of God's miracles and purpose throughout history. No one minister can do that...even women who are as fabulous as us :-)

I hope in the midst of this all, you keep finding those places where your heart sings!!