Wednesday, December 3, 2008

advent musings continued

in my attempts to be intentional with this season, i am trying to make time each day to spend with God. that may translate into daily blogposts, as i have found that over the last eighteen months of my blogging, it is a spiritual discipline that motivates me, allows me to organize my thoughts, and makes accountable to a community. this is my humble offering.

in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. in him was life, and that life was the light of all people. the light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.

john 1:1-5

as john often is, this section to me is theologically obtuse, and yet poetic. the rhythm of it is greek is artful. but it is anything but direct about the nature of jesus. of course, artful poetic language is rarely direct. so it is what it is.

light feeds everything. i can breathe oxygen because sunlight allows plants to produce it. exposing my skin to the sunlight encourages my body to produce its own vitamin d. i am warmed by the sunlight, both physically and spiritually. but even as i absorb the light, i reflect the light--that reflection is how other people and beings are able to see me. the reflected light is taken in by their optic nerves and translated into an image.

so it is with jesus. i hope to both absorb--to sustain me--and reflect--to change the world--the light that is his life.

No comments: