Thursday, October 25, 2007

God is not a rat...

I find this a fascinating theology. God is not a rat. My ethics professor uses it to determine the plausibility of moral theology. If in the system of moral theology, God would be a rat, then it can't work because God is not a rat.

Why can't God be a rat? According to South Park, God is some kind of furry creature with a tail and a weird head. Sorta rat like. According to Dogma, God is Alanis Morisette in a pink get up. Can't God be anything? Isn't that part of omniscience?

The deal behind "God is not a rat" is there are certain things God cannot be by virtue of being. Such as wrong. By definition anything God does is right. God can't be mean, by definition everything God does is loving. This of course represents a particular theology. God can't be a rat, not because God can't actually take the form of a rat, but because of by definition, God can't be a rat.

So, I wonder how I picture God and how that helps me be closer to God. Do I blame things on God, making Gad a rat when God can't be a rat? Do I conceive of a God that is as un-cuddly and distant as the rats that live in the dumpster behind my building? Or is my God a guinea pig, strange, something I do not entirely understand, but recognizes my footsteps, is excited when I come in the room, and likes to cuddle.

God is not a rat.
God is a guinea pig.
What is God for you?

No comments: