Sunday, October 14, 2007

In an age when our single-issue mentalities threaten to destroy any possibility of broad community, ambiguity is a gift that the arts offer toward formation of healthy, inclusive communities. The ambiguity in fine arts helps us see flaws in our heroes and redeeming qualities in our enemies—and so allows us to love our enemies and include them while we see also the need for ourselves and our favorite leaders to confess sins.

—Professor Doug Adams


Remembering Rev. Dr. Doug Adams 1945-2007

Sitting in a church, full of hundreds of people... overflowing into rooms off of the sanctuary... I joined in song and dance this evening in joyous celebration of a beautiful life well lived by Doug Adams.

He was the reason that many of us came to PSR. The only class I visited as a prospective student was his seminar on the crucifixion. He lectured on a Chagall retrospective that was showing at SFMOMA. His overwhelming enthusiasm for encountering God through art, learning about his Saviour from a 20th century Jewish artist, and passionating engaging his students drew me to this community. He lived a life that showed me that I can, and I must, draw on all my gifts, combine my passions and not sacrifice my "art" for my "ministry" or vice versa.

I wish I had known him better. This feels like one of the most cliche things to say about some great who has died, but it is true. I am sad and disappointed that I missed the first twenty nine years of his thirty year career at PSR. His life and death are still teaching me about my calling regardless.

But, I also powerfully experienced community this evening. Doug brought us together tonight, an academic community often fraught with stress, exhaustion, over extension and sometimes just plain whining. We laughed, cried and danced through our grief. We loved each other through the service, and again Doug helped the community grow and heal.

His will be huge shoes to fill. He always brought bottles upon bottles of wine to class... and chocolate and cheese.

No comments: