Saturday, December 22, 2007

living in an alternate universe

I am back in the Midwest. And I love it. I love the Bay Area too, but my heart is in the Midwest. Some of the features in the last couple days that have struck me:

- running into multiple people I knew from high school at my first night in town at Chipotle (ok... so this can be good and bad...)
- catching up with my next door neighbor, that also lives states away, who I grew up with
- walking into my parents house because they don't lock it
- borrowing cooking oil from the neighbors
- going to a restaurant with my whole family (all eight of us) and finding out at the end of the night that one of my dad's friends who was eating there too was picking up the bill
- Christmas carolers!

There is a lot about the Midwest that can make me crazy. But, right now, I am basking in the familiarity and coziness of the place that I know in my bones and love with all my heart.

No comments: