Sunday, December 2, 2007

oh the irony

The biggest joy of preaching at MBCC and the part I find the most fun is learning from the congregation. For those of you who don't know, @ MBCC sermons aren't just a homily or a message from the preacher. Sermons involve discussion, exchange and dialogue. It can be a joyfully mutual process.

When I "preached" on Christ the King Sunday, I was amazed at the way the the congregation interpreted the same texts and concepts that I looked at, yet came up with new and exciting insights. The old adage that two heads is always better than one is true. I guess that is how a saying becomes an adage.

In the last week, I have been stuck on one particular insight that was lifted up. Given the challenge of introducing Jesus in a few words, one woman offered that she would be speechless.

Even though I am just a preacher and pastor in training, I recognize the difficulty and depth in this insight. To be focused enough on Jesus, to be touched by the reality of Jesus' incredible presence, would likely leave us with nothing to say. Yet, as people, particularly as preachers, we try to put words to what there may be no words to describe. oh the irony.

No comments: