Tuesday, March 18, 2008

doodles

memory is fleeting.

i used to doodle during sermons as a child. i started doing it on the bulletin until my mom bought me a special sketchbook for church. each week got a new page.

these drawings came from the words that i was hearing. it was the way that i interpreted the messages that i was hearing in church.

i grew out of this habit. in fact, i had even forgotten that i ever did it. this makes me sad. my natural inclination as a child was perhaps my most true attempt at understanding God. it came from the heart, it came from the spirit, and i moved into my head in my adolescence.

i have spent a lot of time trying to move back into my spirit since.

1 comment:

A. Y. Siu said...

I also doodled during sermons. I still do, so don't take offense if you see me scribbling while you're preaching! It helps me pay attention.