Friday, March 21, 2008

mii, mii, mii...


I am still going to claim to be fairly new to the way that blogs work.

So this is MBCC's Easter postcard. I do not even know that much about Wii and thought it was HILARIOUS! and I have much admiration for our graphic designer.

Within the congregation, there seemed to be some differences in who understood it how...

But some websites (gamers blogs?) have picked it and up and it has created quite the conversation.

If we do nothing else, MBCC is really good at creating conversation.


I am somewhat fascinated by the whole thing. First, I don't understand in a practical way how anyone on these websites got a hold of this? How did they find our postcard? Second, I am surprised by the passion behind some of the comments. Perhaps surprised is not the best word, maybe impressed is. These comments, even having read not even half of them, made a big impression on me. It is no surprise that in conversation that comments often reveal more about the speaker (or blogger) than they do the topic at hand. Clearly, most of these folks no nothing about us. But, they have all kinds of stuff to say about the church. They have big opinions and deep, deep feelings. So if nothing else, if not one more person comes on Easter than usual, I think MBCC has done it's job as a church... stirring the pot, making people consider God in a different way, and engaging.

Read the discussion for yourself. See what you think. My first reaction to some of the ranters, the negativity, was to want to rant back. The pastoral part of me pulled back and said that wasn't constructive...


1 comment:

A. Y. Siu said...

Oddly enough, most of the venom spewed was from other supposed Christians judging our church as trying to be too seeker-friendly or as being some prosperity Gospel mega-church.

If they only knew—we just are seeker-friendly (not trying to be) and are tottally against the prosperity Gospel and are extremely small (population under 100).

Seems some people just have chips on their shoulders and are using this as an opportunity to vent.

I was surprised to see that most people liked it.