Tuesday, May 20, 2008

critics

there is a sex and the city episode where carrie gets her book review in the new york times, and it is fantastic. the same week, she receives criticism from a stranger regarding a relationship. what feedback does she take to heart? the negative feedback. the question of the episode...why do we only listen to our worst reviews.

i am in the process of gathering feedback about my internship experience at mission bay. i am asking people those questions that feel so scripted... what are my strengths? what are my weaknesses? how have you seen me change? etc. etc. etc... and am busy sorting through the answers. we have talked quite a bit in field education about constructive criticism and using feedback. this week, i feel like carrie, only listening to my worst reviews.

what is with that? i wallow in an exam that i could have done better on and quickly forget the exam where i did my best and my work was reflected in the grade.

i think this may be a legacy of calvin and total depravity that i am not to happy to have received from my ancestors. i think the humility that jesus called us to and that paul constantly reminded us about is about being honest with yourself about yourself, both the good and the bad.

i will work on that this week, as i wrap up all of these tasks (interning, preaching, papers, etc.) that are sure to be evaluated...

No comments: